I started contracting Thursday, the day after I got my first shot that is supposed to help prevent preterm labor. It made me so exhausted that I literally laid down the entire next day. Along with the exhaustion I was contracting as many as 7 times an hour. At 17 weeks that is really not a good thing.
With the advice of my OB office and the nurse who administers the shot I went to the ER. Long story short it was a waste of time. Unless you are miscarrying they just send you home. They don't try to stop contracting that could possibly be effecting your cervix. They don't even check to see if the contractions register. They give you fluids and say you are dehydrated (even if you have been drinking TONS of water all day to try to get the contracting to stop) ask you if you are bleeding and if not they send you on your way. It was over a 3 hour deal and I wish I had never gone. I was still contracting that night and the whole time I was there.
I called my OB office this morning and let them know what happened at the hospital. I also told them that no matter how much I was contracting I wasn't going back to the hospital before I was 20 weeks unless I was bleeding or my water broke. I know that when I contract I need to rest and drink lots of water and empty my bladder frequently. I don't need and IV and uncomfortable hospital chairs and sick people around to make sure I am not dehydrated and causing contractions.
Babies aren't viable until after 20 weeks so labor and delivery won't see you. I just bothers me that they see no reason to help a mom stay pregnant if she is having issues before 20 weeks.
At least I see and hear baby every week and know she is ok.
No comments:
Post a Comment