Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Gifts

I have discovered that I find a lot of joy in making the gifts I give. I get so excited to make something especially with that person and mind and that I didn't just spend money on them but I made something with my time and effort and the using skills I am try to better myself at.

My sister-in-law Andrea had a birthday in August. She has been hiking semi regularly as of late, so when I came across this Water Bottle Sling tutorial I decided it would be perfect.
I also lined the inside with the same material and on the lining I sewed some shelf liner that has a grip to it to help keep the water bottle in place.

This past weekend I went to a baby shower for my friend Rachel who is having a baby boy. I had her choose her material for the nursing cover and bag but I also wanted to give her something she didn't know she was getting.

I had bookmarked this tutorial for the Wee Wee Wigwam (PeePee TeePee) for someday when I might have a baby boy (and will definitely want to avoid getting pee peed on).
It was completely simple but I didn't read the tutorial as I was making it so I did it a bit differently as well. I just sewed the outer and inner cone pieces separately then right sides together attached them before turning them out. They just don't have a seam facing the inside of the cone. I had also never sewn a towel before (that was the liner) a new experience for sure.
I also copied the shape of a bib I just had around the house and made one out of the same materials as the cones.

This is the whole loot.
I am so excited for Rachel to have her baby! Hurry up and get here baby Cal!

3 comments:

Heather (wife, mom) said...

very cute! some of my most favorite gifts that i got for each kid were the home made ones. i need to get me a sewing machine and steal some of your ideas. keep it up stacy!

Amber said...

Great job!! That is so awesome! So I've seen you make these nursing covers in your blog posts and I've been meaning to ask - do you use a pattern? Would you be willing to teach me? I have a couple girlfriends due that are planning on nursing. Plus it would be fun to see your kiddos (and you of course)! Hope all is well and GREAT job on these, they really are way cute! And I love the blog makeitandloveit! You did a great job on the "wee-wee wigwams"

Ashley said...

Those turned out so cute. I love the bib and matching wigwams. How funny! Thanks for the link!

Ashley