I have been spending a few days a week with my mom. Hospice can't be there all the time and since we are close the girls and I are able to stay with her while me dad is at work. Monday, the week of Christmas, early that morning she fell and broke her hip. It was so sad to see this added to her plate.
On Saturday, before Christmas, Stephanie presented the idea of making a photo quilt for my mom as a gift from us kids. We wanted to give her something really special even if she may not be home for Christmas.
After a few issues during the process (and headaches with calculating dimensions) the quilt was finished (well all except for the couple feet of top stitching I had left when my sewing machine rebelled and BROKE ON ME!) on Christmas Eve afternoon.
We were so happy that my mom handled the surgery to fix her hip well enough to come home on Christmas Eve.
All of Reeves gathered at my parents home for our traditional Pizza and Wings dinner. The grand kids opened their jammies and we all hung out for a little while before heading home to prepare for Christmas morning.
Our Christmas morning at home was so fun. Ryan and I got up and exchanged gifts so we could focus on each other and have some quiet time in just the light of the Christmas tree. After the girls got up this is what they saw.
Haylie even shared her new Doodle with Ashtyn.
And the matching jammies are compliments of Grandma Pam.
It didn't take long for the jammies to come off and Haylie to be transformed into Princess Snow White.

Ashtyn checking out all the neat sounds of her Learn n' Groove. It was a perfect fit for out little dancing baby.
Their excitement really made the day. Kids make Christmas so much more fun.
Next on our schedule was breakfast with the Reeves'. I LOVE this tradition. Christmas dinner is fine but we have ALWAYS done breakfast and I just love it. Breakfast pizza, eggs, biscuits, sausage and gravy were on the menu this year.
On Saturday, before Christmas, Stephanie presented the idea of making a photo quilt for my mom as a gift from us kids. We wanted to give her something really special even if she may not be home for Christmas.
After a few issues during the process (and headaches with calculating dimensions) the quilt was finished (well all except for the couple feet of top stitching I had left when my sewing machine rebelled and BROKE ON ME!) on Christmas Eve afternoon.
We were so happy that my mom handled the surgery to fix her hip well enough to come home on Christmas Eve.
All of Reeves gathered at my parents home for our traditional Pizza and Wings dinner. The grand kids opened their jammies and we all hung out for a little while before heading home to prepare for Christmas morning.
Our Christmas morning at home was so fun. Ryan and I got up and exchanged gifts so we could focus on each other and have some quiet time in just the light of the Christmas tree. After the girls got up this is what they saw.
It didn't take long for the jammies to come off and Haylie to be transformed into Princess Snow White.
Ashtyn checking out all the neat sounds of her Learn n' Groove. It was a perfect fit for out little dancing baby.
Next on our schedule was breakfast with the Reeves'. I LOVE this tradition. Christmas dinner is fine but we have ALWAYS done breakfast and I just love it. Breakfast pizza, eggs, biscuits, sausage and gravy were on the menu this year.
Haylie was still eating when we were all gathered to give my parents their gifts.
We didn't do a gift exchange this year but we all did things for mom and dad.
The quilt from all of us.
Scott and Andrea also put together a memory book to give to both parents with memories from all of us about our experiences with them. (aka. what you get for those who have EVERYTHING)
Dad loves to go to the movies and has been going with my brother in law John a bit more since mom hasn't been able to. He was given the Harkins Cups ($1 refills) filled with tootsie rolls, Harkins Shirt (Free Meduim popcorn just for showing you have it), I think some movie passes, a Glen Beck book and I think some other stuff.
Not a fancy Christmas, but it was nice to give back to our parents. They have both always been so great to all of us kids and our families.
Midday we packed up and headed to the Goodsell's.
The group of us gathered in the basement to exchange gifts.
The kids get all excited waiting.
She Ashtyn and cousin Austin are playing while they wait.

It is a pretty well organized event. Tamara was handing out the gifts, everyone takes turns and they are opened one at a time. Haylie was helping Aunt Tamara hand out the gifts.
Ashtyn having fun before she went down for a nap during the festivities.
Haylie has a real soft spot for both her Grandpas (and they her).
Grandma picked out this book for her and it took no time to find Haylie and Grandpa reading it together.
The quilt from all of us.
Dad loves to go to the movies and has been going with my brother in law John a bit more since mom hasn't been able to. He was given the Harkins Cups ($1 refills) filled with tootsie rolls, Harkins Shirt (Free Meduim popcorn just for showing you have it), I think some movie passes, a Glen Beck book and I think some other stuff.
Not a fancy Christmas, but it was nice to give back to our parents. They have both always been so great to all of us kids and our families.
Midday we packed up and headed to the Goodsell's.
The group of us gathered in the basement to exchange gifts.
The kids get all excited waiting.
She Ashtyn and cousin Austin are playing while they wait.
It is a pretty well organized event. Tamara was handing out the gifts, everyone takes turns and they are opened one at a time. Haylie was helping Aunt Tamara hand out the gifts.
Haylie has a real soft spot for both her Grandpas (and they her).
Grandma picked out this book for her and it took no time to find Haylie and Grandpa reading it together.
After cleaning up the mess downstairs, we all headed up to get Christmas dinner ready. It all tasted great and the company was even better.
We spent most of the evening with the family and we were all very tired by the time we headed home.
It was a great day. We are so blessed to have family close and be able to spend time together during the holidays.
1 comment:
Love the quilt idea. Think I just might us that this year. Because I have parents and in-laws like yours they have everything and I am sure they would love something like that. I also like your little tradition that you have with your husband of have your time to exchange gifts before the kido stuff happening. Think I just might add that to our list of traditions.
Post a Comment