Monday, November 3, 2008

Halloween

We didn't do the norm for Halloween this year, but we did dress up the girls.

The nurses always change, or let me change, Ashtyn's outfit in the evening, so Thursday night I was ready with the costume I had put together for her: a preemie onesie from WalMart, beanie I made on a borrowed hat knitting loom with felt ears, and an orange receiving blanked I hemmed. I got a itty bitty black kitty snuggled in an orange blankie. It was fun to make and it gave me something to do. I think making little things for Ashtyn while I am away from her helps me feel connected to her.



Ryan's mom has been a great help and has watched Haylie a lot while we have been going through this little ordeal. Friday Ryan took Haylie with him when he left for work and Dropped Haylie off at his parents house. Ashtyn was having an ultrasound on her brain that day and I wanted to be there while it was being done. (the results were perfectly normal, just standard procedure on a preemie) I picked up the few things I needed to complete Haylie's costume and put it together about 30 minutes before leaving to meet her and Ryan at his parents' house. I couldn't find a new red or black onesie anywhere but luckily there was a 6-9mo. one at Savers that fit Haylie perfectly. I cut out some sticky felt for the belly and the spots, twisted some pipe cleaners for the antennas and drew the wing outlines with a Sharpe, add some black tights and we had us a lady bug. I even sewed a little bag and cut out a pumpkin face to stick on it (which she kept trying to fill with treats!). It was hard to get a picture of her, she was all over the place, but Ryan's mom has some cute ones of Haylie and I on her camera.
I promise she isn't tired or drunk even though her eyes kind of look like it.
Haylie was very eager to see what grandpa was doing with the candy, but she didn't quite know what to think of the kids in their costumes.

We then went out to dinner (happy our, CHEAP appetizers, VERY YUMMY!) at On the Border where Haylie was the cutest thing is sight. Afterwards we headed to the hospital to say hi to my mom so she could see Haylie all dressed up and then to go to the nursery and try to get some pictures of the girls together.
This was our best shot. Haylie was getting tired at this point.
Since Ashtyn was born Ryan hasn't been able to spend much time with her. He has been very generous about letting me have the time with her while he takes care of life, saying she already knows me and that we need eachother. Even though I know they will bond just fine once we get her home I love the moments, however short and sweet, when I can see how loving my husband is with our new baby girl.
It has been such a blessing for me to see the relationship between Haylie and Ryan grow as I have been either in the hospital or there visiting Ashtyn and my mom. I am married to such a wonderful man who is a great father. It will be great when he is done with school and we can have him around more.

One more stop after we left the hospital at my parents' house where Haylie showed off for my dad. With all that has been going on with my mom it was good to see him be light hearted and happy. I think it was a good pick me up to end his evening.

That's it, that was our Halloween. We hope yours was fun too.

6 comments:

Arizona Nielsens said...

Is it you who says your never crafty?? Cause I'm pretty sure that 2 Halloween costumes under your belt (among other things) qualifies you as "crafty." Cute costumes... glad to see that your family is doing well despite being in different places.

K&S said...

Adorable! I am glad that you guys are doing so good. Ashtyn looks darling and Hailey's costume is super fun.

Jenny and Shane said...

Your family is way too cute. I love the girls' Halloween costumes. Is Ashtyn just THE cutest thing? I think so. Hope to see you all soon!

Breezy Skye said...

The girls looked adorable. I just love Haylie's costume. You did such a good job putting that together.

Judy Cozza Photography said...

Stacy - you are amazing. Your little girls are simply darling. Thanks for letting me see your tiny Ashtyn AND Hailey yesterday at the hospital. You are truly blessed with a wonderful family and better kiss that husband - he is another jewel in your crown!

Shanda said...

That picture of Ryan holding Ashtyn's hand has me in tears! & then to read your story! Wow! You are both such great parents!